Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Corporate Culture reflected in married lives

This is a story of a Mr. X after 8 years of experience in his field

I am earning Rs 45K per month with my present organization. And my appraisal is due in 2 months time. I am anticipating a 20% raise. That should make it 54K per month. Hopefully, I can live the life I dream of with that hike. With the present salary I am struggling a little to meet ends the way I want. Things could be rosier with the hike in income.

Two months later.

Company decided to give him a 5% hike. It could be because of his not performing to the company expectations or the company revenue for that fiscal could only squeeze that rate keeping all the appraisals of employees in perspective. So he had to settle for a little above 47K per month till next appraisal. He was highly dissatisfied with the outcome.

His immediate reaction was to look for positive transition in his career. He started to look for openings in other companies where he could quote his satisfactory per month salary. Two months from his appraisal day he moved to another company that accepted to pay him 55K per month. He is very happy with his life after his income reached or even exceeded his requirement.

Sixteen months later.

I am earning close to Rs 58K per month with my present organization. And my appraisal is due in 2 months time. I am anticipating a 15% raise. That should make it around 67K per month. Hopefully, I can live the life I dream of with that hike. With the present salary I am struggling a little to meet ends the way I want. Things could be rosier with the hike in income.

Two months later.

Company once again decided to give him a 5% hike. Once again, it could be because of his not performing to the company expectations or the company revenue for that fiscal could only squeeze that rate keeping all the appraisals of employees in perspective. So once again he had to settle for a close 61K per month till next appraisal. And once again he was highly dissatisfied with the outcome.

Again, his immediate reaction was to look for positive transition in his career. He started to look for openings in other companies where he could quote his satisfactory per month salary. Two months from his appraisal day he moved to another company that accepted to pay him 70K per month. He is very happy with his life after his income reached or even exceeded his requirement.

And the same trend continued till he retired at the age of 58. The summary of his professional life is experience of 33 years in his field with 14 different organizations.

This approach of instant gratification, career growth and living in a comfort zone has become so innate that man has started looking for the same in all his endeavors. Even marriages are feeling the strains with this approach, I guess. The moment one of the partners find it hard to continue the relation, a hindrance to his/her career growth, one too many differences in opinions, they are not shying away from filing for a divorce and moving ahead in life with another partner.

Once we look into the statistics of number of divorce cases filed in the past ten years, we find it hard to digest. The rise in the number of divorces is staggering in the past 5 years and these days partners have started taking extreme measures, that of killing their spouse. I am not sure of how much the corporate culture has influenced this trend but the statistics do hint at this idea as the growth in the corporate and filing for divorce cultures do run very parallel.

I leave the number crunching to the hard workers who can gather the right statistics from the concerned departments for more authenticity leaving me with my thought process.

P.S: This is a supposition and is India-centric.



2 comments:

Destination Infinity said...

I think, we as Indians, are getting our priorities wrong. So, there is a ripple effect of mistakes. First, choosing a job only for the sake of increment and not bothering about the job profile, specialization, responsibilities, etc. is a bit bizzare. Second, when both husband and wife work full time, they do multiply the amount of salary earned by 2x but what about the upbringing of children. We almost forget that we earn money to keep our family happy! Now it is like, altering family situations to to keep earning more money. The most interesting thing is: We believe that more money = more happiness! I just wish that life was so simple.

Nice article BTW.

Destination Infinity

Julien Dionne said...

Hey Arjun,

Thanks for dropping a comment at leapcomp, because it made me aware of your blog. I particularly like this post, and I think it's right on the spot for North America as well. I wouldn't say that people switch job all the time ONLY for money, but for many - particularly the Net Gen / Generation Y - it seems to be a major factor... Money and job satisfaction. The old adage "The Grass is Always Greener on the Other Side" seems to apply and people never seem to be satisfied with what they have.